Click on Pictures to View

To view a larger version of an image within a post, just click on the picture you want to view :)

Monday, June 13, 2016

SCCM Error Codes: 0x654 (1620) AND (1612)

The initial problem in our scenario was trying to deploy an application via SCCM, which was showing as "Past Due - Will Be Retried" in Software Center and had a Failed status with error code 0x654(1620).

I checked the AppEnforce log at C:\Windows\CCM\Logs on the client computer, and it showed an incorrect network path on the command line being run for the application.

I discovered within the deployed application's .msi-installer settings in SCCM that the Content Location was blank, and the Installation Program specified was incorrect.

I created a new deployed application as a test, making sure the Content Location contained the correct path, and the Installation Program contained the correct .cmd file we created for the install.
I added the machine in question to the collection for this test app, and verified the app showed up in the computer's Software Center.

However, a new problem arose - the new test app kept saying "Past Due - Will Be Retried" in Software Center.  If I tried to initiate the install from Software Center, it would fail, showing Past Due status again.  This time the failure code was 0x654(1612).  I also confirmed that the application woud install if run manually from the ccmcache folder.  After some research and looking at .msi error codes, I found a solution online suggesting removing an associated registry entry to the install file.

I navigated to the registry, opening it as administrator, and searched for the program in question's GUID.  It showed up under a SourceList key, sure enough listing the previous incorrect path for the install.

SOLUTION - original solution can be found on Mick's IT Blog (see Sources link at bottom):

I backed up the registry just in case, and then deleted the GUID folder of the full path containing the SourceList key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\<GUID>

I re-initiated the install from Software Center, and the application installed successfully.





SOURCES:

http://mickitblog.blogspot.com/2015/10/sccm-deployment-with-error-1612.html

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa376931(v=vs.85).aspx

4 comments:

  1. I saw you comment on another site, using their solution, so you should give credit to where you found the original solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I left a comment on Mick's IT Blog that their solution helped me. I already linked to their blog post at the bottom of my post as an original source that I used during researching the issue - I have added a line to state that the original solution was found on Mick's IT Blog. Thanks for the note.

      Delete
  2. I had this using PS App Deployment Toolkit, I had created a deployment type selecting MSI first, then changed to script. The install command field had msiexec /i "deploy_app.EXE" and this threw a 1620 on exit since you cant use msiexec to push an exe :)

    ReplyDelete

Give my post a +1 or let me know if you found any of my blog content helpful!