Click on Pictures to View

To view a larger version of an image within a post, just click on the picture you want to view :)

Friday, September 25, 2015

Can't Ping VLAN (ELAN) from Outside the Local LAN?

So here's a short post.

I installed a Cisco layer 3 switch and moved all the configs for the local LAN's VLANs, ip routing, from the old switch and router etc. over to the new switch.

Everything seemed fine and dandy upon completion, and I could ping back to Headquarters from the remote site, and could get internet and intranet access, etc.

However, it turned out that Headquarters (or any other remote site than the one where I installed the switch) reported they could not ping the ELAN for that site.
So all data, voice and wireless VLANs for that site were pingable from Headquarters, but the ELAN was not pingable.

Back on site, everything seemed to be working, and I could ping everything from within the local LAN.  It just seemed that from OUTSIDE my local LAN, ELAN was unreachable.


Solution:


I double-checked the EIGRP routing statement on the layer three switch with a simple "show run."
Sure enough the ELAN IP address was missing from the EIGRP statement.

Once I added that in, I was able to ping the ELAN from outside the LAN and it was available for Telecomm's purposes.


So if you can ping inside the network, but not FROM outside the network, check your routing statement!

...also, if you are adding in equipment, make sure your configs are correct!


Short Info on ELANs:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Interviews/answer/851/what-is-a-vlan-what-is-an-elan-what-is-the-difference




No comments:

Post a Comment

Give my post a +1 or let me know if you found any of my blog content helpful!